Wonersh and Shamley Green

Church Of England Primary School

Guildford Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU5 0RT, United Kingdom



Complaints Procedure  

If you have a concern or complaint

We would like you to tell us about it. We welcome suggestions for improving our work in the school. Be assured that no matter what you want to tell us, our support and respect for you and your child in the school will not be affected in any way. Please tell us of your concern as soon as possible. It is difficult for us to investigate properly an incident or problem, which has happened some time ago.

What to do first

Most concerns and complaints can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child's class teacher. The office can also help you decide who best to speak to. 

If you have a complaint, which you feel should be, looked at by the Head teacher in the first instance you can contact her straight away if you prefer. It is usually best to discuss the problem face to face. You may need an appointment to do this, and can make one by ringing or calling in to the school office. You can take a friend or relation to the appointment with you if you would like to.

All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally. They will make sure that they have an understanding of what you feel is the problem, and they will explain their own actions to you. They will ask what you would like the school to do to put things right. Of course, this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides of the question. It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.

What to do next

If you are dissatisfied with the teacher's response (or with the Head teacher's initial reaction if he/she has already been involved) you can make a complaint to the Head teacher. This should be made in writing. Help with this is available from the school office or Local Authority.

We will follow the procedures as outlined on the Surrey County Council web site. 

The Head teacher will ask to meet you for a discussion of the problem. Again you may take a friend or someone else with you if you wish. The Head teacher will conduct a full investigation of the complaint and may interview any members of staff or pupils involved. You will receive a response to your complaint, verbal or written.

If your complaint is about an action of the Head teacher personally, then you should refer it to the Chair of Governors, Rev Debbie Sellin via the school office. This should be made in writing.

If you are still unhappy

The problem will normally be solved by this stage. However, if you are still not satisfied you may wish to contact the Chair of the governing body to ask for referral or your complaint to a Governors' Complaints Panel. It will then be heard by a group of three governors who have no previous knowledge of the problem and so will be able to give it a fresh assessment. You will be invited to attend and speak to the panel at a meeting, which the Head teacher will also attend.

We will follow the procedures as outlined on the Surrey County Council web site.  

Further action

Complaints about school problems are almost always settled within schools but in exceptional cases it may be possible to refer the problem to an outside body such as the Local Authority or the Secretary of State for Education and Employment.  More information is available on  the Surrey County Council web site.  You may find it useful to refer to  this document. 


Tess Trewinnard   Headteacher

Mr Matt Hardman  Chair of Governors